By now most of you are probably familiar with selling your gently used goods on your phone through apps like Poshmark or Mercari. These apps help you earn extra cash by selling and promoting your used goods to customers all over the country! There are tons of apps like these out there, but the most popular ones are by far Poshmark, and now the new Mercari app. Since my wardrobe changes so frequently, I LOVE buying and selling on these apps and they are my go-to when I’m looking to buy certain things, or get rid of something fast. After using these apps to buy and sell, I’m going to weigh the pro’s and cons of both apps for you ladies!
- Catered toward women only
- Specific niche: Primarily for buying and selling women’s fashion
- You can negotiate prices by making an offer/counteroffer
- Items are protected by Poshmark’s guarantee: Get the item you ordered in its described condition, or get your money back
- Very simple and easy to use
- Tried and tested, and one of the first apps of its kind
- Recieve invites to attend Poshmark parties and events in your area
- When you search for an item on the app to purchase, it automatically filters the search to only show items in your size
- I’ve earned tons of extra cash selling my gently used clothing on this app
- Poshmark sends you a shipping label when you sell an item
- Poshmark hosts in-app parties to help you sell items
- Poshmark offers incentives to help you sell such as discounted shipping, notifications for likes, comments, etc.
- Earn $5 when you first sign up using code: HSNQH
- When selling, Poshmark takes a HEFTY commission: 20%!!! [[This is a HUGE CON!]]
- When buying, shipping costs $4.99 added to your purchase
- Mercari is currently NOT taking ANY commission off your sales while it is in beta! Yay!
- You can buy and sell anything from electronics to clothing
- You can choose to pay for shipping or charge the customer for shipping
- Purchases are protected by Mercari’s guarantee: Receive the item in its described condition or get your money back
- Mercari send you a shipping label when you sell an item
- You can’t negotiate prices unless you do it through the comments section and ask the seller to lower the price
- App its a little confusing and cluttered to use
- It caters to a very BROAD market, which means that there are people selling all kinds of things on the app, making it hard to find what you are looking for
- I have only made one sale from this app
To wrap it up, I think that Mercari has a LOT of potential and it is a perfect fit for men, and women selling things other than clothing. If you are selling clothes, shoes, handbags, or accessories, Poshmark is definitely the way to go! Their commission is horrible, but Poshmark makes it very easy to sell an item and it works with you to help you sell! I currently have both apps installed in my phone and I am hoping that Mercari can step up its game and be a little more seller-friendly and easier to use.
If you don’t already have Poshmark, download the app and use code ‘HSNQH’ to receive $5 off your first purchase! I sell so many items that I feature in my Lady Code fashion posts on Poshmark, so make sure you check out my closet as well if you love Lady Code’s style: https://poshmark.com/closet/lisaopie 🙂